Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Simu-Date

It's been 2 weeks and counting since I told make-up/break-up to bugger off, and it's been 3 days since the "Great De-Friending."  I have heard from make-up/break-up once via text message since the GDF.  Randomly, he wanted to know when my sister's wedding was.  I have now hired a team of bodyguards to accompany me to the event.

Just kidding.

In seriousness (mostly), it was a gorgeous spring day in the Central Time Zone.  I spent all day operating, and as soon as I stepped out, I had a major bout of spring fever.  All I wanted to do was sit outdoors and enjoy a nice glass of Riesling at a local wine bar.

So I called up my neighbor whom I haven't seen in ages--namely because I have become a hermit recently due to the make-up/break-up fiasco.  My neighbor is an electrician, a few years younger than me, and has a body like Daniel Craig.  Though we don't have a lot in common, we do enjoy having a drink every now and then, and he's just a super nice guy.

We went to the wine bar, I got all dolled up because, let's face it, I don't get out much.  And usually the most creative part of my daily outfit is which pair of socks I'm going to wear with scrubs.  He picked me up, and I almost felt like I was going on a date!

We had a good time...but it was weird for me.  After being with make-up/break-up for nearly a year, and thinking that he was "The One," it was odd to think about being out with someone else, even on a not-date.  It was also just kind of depressing to think about getting back on the merry-go-round.  There was a time last year when I thought I had bought my last ride.

Regardless, new things always feel weird at first.  Whether it's a new surgical instrument, a new place, an new person, even a new outlook.  But eventually, I know I'll get over the weirdness and it'll just be...fun. 

1 comment:

  1. LOL! I love the socks comment because it's soooo true! I can't tell you how many printed socks I have for that very reason. My favorite? Flying pigs socks :-) Miss you!

    T

    ReplyDelete