Sunday, May 9, 2010

In Limbo

I am super excited about moving to the Eastern Time Zone for my fellowship.

I am not excited about the process of moving.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I haven't done this before.  Many, many times.  There was one year in college when I moved from my summer apartment, to the dorm, to...England (!), to the next summer apartment, to the apartment for the year.  Yeah.  Although there were so many incredible adventures during that year, there was also a lot of lugging around of stuff.  I had biceps like Arnold Schwartzenegger by the time I had "settled down."  Somehow, it all happened in the midst of final exams and final parties.

However, I remember the beautiful days of fourth year of med school.  With little to do academically, my time was spent chilling with friends, my fiance at the time, and preparing for the enormous task of moving two people (and their stuff) across the country.

This time though, it feels so much different for some reason.  Maybe it's because though each day brings me one day closer to being done with residency, each day also feels like business as usual.  There are no final parties, though I do feel like I'm studying for final (board) exams.  Maybe it's because instead of being really done with training, I'm just starting another phase of training.  Or maybe it's because I am actually looking forward to the end of residency.  The end of high school, college, and med school were bittersweet occasions that marked the end of a confluence of friends, hard work, and fun.  To me, the end of residency is like a sigh of relief at the end of a grueling marathon.


No comments:

Post a Comment