Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

Good afternoon, ladies and welcome to 2010. A new decade, a new year, a new blog.

This blog is born out of my 2010 NYE experience. Last night, I spent New Year's in a dive bar at a small party hosted by one of my interns--a fabulous woman on a quest for love and lust equivalent to Charlotte and Samantha rolled into one. As we downed pitchers of "quality" beer, we caught up on the hits and misses of our love lives.

I recently have been involved in a 2 month long break-up/make-up with a surgery intern I thought was the love of my life. We met last February...and yes, he was a student at the time. More on that one later. He lives in the Mountain time zone, I live in the Central. He will be in the Mountain for another 4 years. I will soon be moving to Eastern. Long distance troubles? That's the easy answer. Everything was perfect between us, until he realized that we were going to be doing long distance...for a looong time while I am in fellowship and he finishes up residency.

You know how this saga begins--man wants woman to quit prestigious fellowship to move in with him and be domestic. Woman agrees to that, but only after fellowship is over.

Last night, one of the (male) general surgery residents asked me why female surgical residents seem so unhappy.

Because gentlemen, why can you have it all and we can't?

No comments:

Post a Comment