Monday, September 6, 2010

Intimidating Jobs

What defines a job so intimidating that members of the opposite sex actually run away when you mention it?  Or, what defines a job that is so sexy that members of the opposite sex actually think you're more attractive because you have it?

Once, a couple years ago, I was out at a bar with several of my friends.  One of the (male) friends of my friend came up to me and started a conversation.  It soon became apparent (even to clueless me) that he was flirting.  He was cute and I was game, so I started flirting back.  Then...he started asking me questions about what I do:

Him: What do you do for a living?
Me: Er...I'm a doctor.

(Doh! Strike One)

Him: What kind of doctor?
Me: Er...I'm a surgeon.

(The look of fear on his face was priceless)

Him: What kind of surgeon?
Me: (Major hesitation here) I'm a urologist.

Him: I would be SO intimidated to go out with you. (He says as he turns and literally runs away)

The guy could not get away from me any faster, and I have had many subsequent experiences that are eerily similar.  I still have too much pride to say that I'm anything other than I am.  I worked damn hard to get here and my job is a good weed-out process.  After all, I would never want to be with someone that insecure.

The other night, after an evening of drinks with friends, I hopped into a subway station and started to head home.  I ran into a couple guys who thought I was following them in the subway tunnel, and we started chatting because I love random conversations.  Eventually, it turned out that they were just getting ready to go out and invited me to join them for a drink. 

I hesitated.

Random dudes, random subway, big city.  They seemed genuine and nice, but don't all axe murderers?  They implored, but I still hesitated.  So, I asked them what they do for a living to stall.  Then they hesitated.  They didn't want to tell me what they did for a living because they thought I would be intimidated by what they do! 

Well, this certainly struck a chord with me.  I eventually got them to tell me what they do--they were firefighters.  The guys were worried that I would only like them because they were firefighters, because what girl doesn't want to date a firefighter, right?

I went out for a drink with them, and had a blast (no pun intended).  The best part?  They were so unimpressed with what I do for a living.  I guess if you're jumping out of burning buildings every day, being a surgeon is just a tad bit drab.

2 comments:

  1. haha... This was a fun entry, I loved the ending. Compared to firemen's, surgeons' daily lives are pretty, well...boring. :-)

    Some guys think its a turn-on, i've been told. Doctors represent nurturing figures, what [secure] man wouldn't want that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it when a guy isnt intimidated by what u do. at the same time, he should be impressed ;)

    ReplyDelete