Thursday, March 25, 2010

What Kind of Man Should a Female Surgeon Be With?

Today I was in the operating room with one of my favorite attendings.  It seems we always chat about various life issues in the OR--probably because he has an interesting clientele of patients that bring up various...well, reproductive issues.

So, somehow, the topic of my singledom came up.  (Full disclosure...make-up/break-up was a rotating student in our department when I met him and everyone knew who he was.)  We discussed how things didn't work out with make-up/break-up, essentially because he thought I was too career-minded and wouldn't settle down.

Vehemently, my attending stated, "You need to be with a non-physician."

He felt that as I'm choosing an academic career path, I need to be with a guy who would be okay with gallivanting off to meetings, willing to stay home with the kids, and basically function as a house husband.  Being with another physician, he believed, would just lead to too many time and marital issues relating to sharing of responsibilities.

Hmmm...my live-in ex-fiance was a writer.  Not a very successful writer.  He had a lot of time on his hands while he was "creating."  What he was creating is unknown to me, because I think it was all in his head.  Nary a manuscript crossed my path.  However, despite his abundance of time at home, I still was in charge of the household.  Cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, bills.  Then add medical school to the mix.

Needless to say, resentment started building.  Things didn't work out between us for many reasons, but his lack of proactivity was definitely one of them.  I don't mind the idea of being with a non-physician, but let's face it...physicians are generally motivated, proactive, and get stuff done.  I don't care about the profession, I care about a partnership and sharing in the responsibilities.

Ultimately, part of the fun of being single again is that I have no idea what sort of person will cross my path each day.  I don't know what kind of profession the ultimate guy is going to be part of.  There are many things I don't know about this mystery person, but one thing I do know is that they will have to be proactive, somewhat adventurous, love to travel, and be a bit on the crazy side.

P.S. If there are any guys out there who meet that description, and live in the Eastern Time Zone, feel free to shoot me a message!  ;)

1 comment:

  1. I don't think we necessarily NEED to be with other physicians as well, but if he's a physician too, and suits a doctor girl just well, then why not? They say that things'll get boring because all doctor pairs will talk about will be work and their patients...actually, just that will be good enough...it opens up a lot of conversation for other life things as well, right?

    ReplyDelete