Saturday, April 3, 2010

David Brooks: I am Infuriated!

Has anyone else read this recent column in the New York Times by David Brooks?

"The Sandra Bullock Trade"
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/30/opinion/30brooks.html?src=me&ref=homepage

Ladies--I encourage you to check this out and join in the furor.

The basic premise of this op-ed piece (in my interpretation anyways) is that there is no way to find both professional happiness and personal happiness--there is always a trade-off between one and the other.  The infuriating Mr. Brooks goes on to postulate that actually, being married is the only thing that matters in a person's overall happiness.

B.S.

I feel like Mr. Brooks has been sharing notes with my ex-boyfriend!  Like I said in my first blog post, why are female surgeons "unhappy?"  It's because, for some reason, there is a sense in the general public that professional and personal success are mutually exclusive, at least for women.  That women who have professional ambitions, and are achieving them, will never be able to enjoy the same success in their personal lives.

Where I think Mr. Brooks is wrong is that ultimately, most people, men and women alike, are looking for a balance between meaningful, rewarding work and a stable, fulfilling home life.  It's not really an either/or choice.

I applaud Sandra Bullock for her Academy Award, and the premise that her work "drove away" her husband is ridiculous.  I sure as heck would rather be single and successful than be with someone who breaks me down.  Now that I have had some time and distance, I can finally see that in my own life.

Sandra's lying, cheating ex is such an idiot.  He can't be with a beautiful, smart, talented woman, and she obviously deserves better.

As all of us beautiful, smart, talented women do...we're here for you Sandra.


No comments:

Post a Comment