Sunday, March 21, 2010

The First Day of Spring

Yesterday, I woke up and realized that I didn't miss make-up/break-up anymore. 

Do you remember that great episode of My So-Called Life when Claire Danes' character, Angela, is totally over her crush, Jordan Catalano (played by the hunky Jared Leto), and she dances like a free, mad woman to the Violent Femmes' "Blister in the Sun?"

Yeah.  That's how I felt when I woke up yesterday.  I have basically been feeling sorry for myself for the past two months (aargh, has it really been that long??)...but then, this week, I just got sick of being pathetic.  Was it coincidence that yesterday was the first day of spring?  The equinox?  A day on which light and dark are equal, and then, ever so slowly, the light starts to take over?

Okay, I'm so not that kind of breezy, new-age gal.  But somehow, spring has bloomed in my mind.  I suddenly started to feel excited about all of the things in my life that I should have been excited about for the past few months--finishing residency, moving to an exciting city in the Eastern Time Zone, my brilliant sister's impending nuptials, a coming trip...even my fellowship research project that is currently budding.

Though it was actually snowing here on the first day of spring, somewhere in my heart and mind, there were daffodils.  For the past two months, it felt like this day would never come, but it's amazing what the tincture of time has done for my broken heart.  With each day since the break-up, I have for once truly put time and thought into healing.  With each day, I have quietly, without even knowing it, become a little bit stronger.

Now, do I feel like I could grow another relationship yet?  Not so much.  But like a spring tulip, there's always the chance of rebirth.


No comments:

Post a Comment