Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year, my dear Single Female Surgeons!

Well, I can't believe that this is already the one year anniversary of sex and the scalpel.  It's been a wild ride, a rollercoaster of ups and downs, and I can't thank you enough for your insight and readership throughout this year.

I started this blog because of a major shift in my thought process about balance in my career and life.  I guess I always assumed that I was good at doing the balancing act--doing well at work, working out, friends, family, fun--in no particular order.  After falling in love with Make-Up/Break-Up, and the ensuing break-up that resulted due to my career choices, I realized that maybe all wasn't perfect in my perfect little world.  That maybe I really didn't have it all.

In some ways, it was painfully apparent to me last night.  As I got dolled up for a night on the town with friends--most of whom are in a relationship--I realized that in fact, I really dislike New Year's Eve.  It's the one day of the year that I actually feel bad about being single, and worry that maybe all of the good things currently in my life aren't enough.  Sure, I could find someone random to kiss at midnight, but I've reached that point in life where I'm greedy.  The random hookup simply will not suffice.  I want more, and deserve more.  As I headed home last night, the entire subway was a veritable Noah's Ark--two by two.  Until I find that person crazy enough to travel through life with me, who enhances instead of detracts from the whole career/life balancing act thing, I'm okay with going it alone.

Though I'm one year older, I can't say that I'm all the wiser, but someday, through this blog and the wonderful conversations with SFS's and those outside of medicine, I hope to be able to gain some insight into this maze that seems to only get more complex as each day goes by.

In the meanwhile, I'm going to sit down with some Gatorade for my hangover, think a bit, write some resolutions, and then get ready for my date tonight.

Happy New Year, dear SFS's!  May all your dreams come true in 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment