Thursday, January 27, 2011

State of the Disunion

It's official.  I ended things with Make-Up/Break-Up almost exactly one year ago.  I have been single for a year--the longest stretch of singledom I've had in nearly ten years. 

So what is the State of the Disunion currently?

My fellow SFS's.  I stand here today as a Single Female Surgeon who is proud of her personal triumphs and failures over the past one year. 

I am proud of the fact that I chose my personal happiness over someone who wanted to stifle it, that I chose to punish infidelity instead of accept it.  That I made a career choice that has led to incredible professional and personal experiences and flourishing lifetime friendships and colleagues.  I am pleased that the career choice led me to a Time Zone and a city that I love--to the point that I wonder what the hell took me so long to get here, and why in the past I ever doubted my choice to come.  

I am proud that last weekend, I found out that Make-Up/Break-Up has a girlfriend, and I finally cut him out of my life completely.  That five dollars per month of AT&T call and text blocking is the best money I have spent in a long time.  No more ambushes--after all, what is he doing calling/texting when he has a girlfriend anyways? 

As part of the personal failures...I am not proud that it took me a year to finally do this.

My fellow SFS's, there is still much work that lies ahead.  I want to enjoy solitude without feeling lonely.  I want to continue to expand my adventurous side without breaking the budget.  I want to break down the trade barriers around my heart and get over my fear of getting hurt. 

But overall, the State of the Disunion is this: I am proud to be managing my life and happiness as an independent woman, while still believing that he's out there somewhere.

1 comment: