Saturday, February 12, 2011

A Challenge for My Readers: Palliative Care

A week or so ago, I was having morning coffee with the Brain Trust at our usual meeting place.  We hadn't caught up in a bit and as I attempted to bring them up to speed on the latest happenings in my dating life, I realized that there weren't any happenings to report.  So it's been a bit of a dry spell.  But, this is quite different from active surveillance in which there is still a willingness to engage.

My dating life is currently on the palliative care service.  Comfort measures only.

Perhaps the best way to describe the new status is this.  It's Saturday night.  After a brilliant day of skiing, it is 10pm, I am in bed, in my pajamas, no make-up, eating Valentine's chocolates from my sister, and catching up on chick flicks and Gary Schteyngart.  Oh yes, and blogging.  There have been a couple Saturday nights like this recently.  Okay, okay.  Maybe more than a few.

I'd like to think of it as hibernating during the winter; however, I just haven't been in the mood to put myself out there recently.  I went to a singles mixer/book reading on Thursday, but frankly, I really went more for the book reading and pinot noir than for meeting new guys.  Lately, the mixers/bars/clubs/etc have felt like the same thing over and over.  A job interview or parade of peacocks.

I'd rather meet someone in a more natural environment than in a contrived setting.  And I'd much rather spend precious free time with friends or on my own doing something I actually enjoy, instead of chat up another stranger.  Plus, all other aspects of life are fun and interesting currently (work, friends, family, skiing), so why complicate that?

So ladies (and gentlemen), I offer this challenge to you.  I need your help to revive my lifeless, listless dating life.  Comment or message me with your creative ideas.  I'll try each one out and write a post about it.

Ready...go.

(Thanks to Thor of the Brain Trust for coining the new terminology.)

2 comments:

  1. take up a new sport...if you like the active life, it's a fun way to meet people. Oh, and they'll probably be the competitive, go-getter achiever types there too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did Match, and it was a great way to meet people, go out, have fun. Maddenlingy frustrating too tho. But what can I say? I met my guy not two months after my Match subscription ended. There's no magic 'thing to do'. Do whatever the hell you feel like doing at the moment, from Match to Craigslist (that's how Jenn met her guy) to skiing to just walking down the street or going thru your old myspace friends. Life happens, remember that saying, Man plans, God laughs? Just make your own life as wonderful as you want, and things will happen. At some point.

    ReplyDelete