Tuesday, July 13, 2010

SingleFemaleSurgeon Goes on a First Date

I'm not usually huge on "arranged dating," but my roommate and her friend decided to take on the disaster that is SingleFemaleSurgeon and set up a semi-blind date.

It felt kind of surreal actually.  It seems like people don't really go on dates anymore--there's a lot of just random hanging out in groups of people and then hooking up.  Certainly, this is how I've met my last couple boyfriends.  I don't think I've actually been asked on a bona fide date in probably about two years--when I had a short stint doing online dating.

So, after some emailing back and forth, we set up a time to do coffee.  We went to a cute, lively coffee shop populated by undergraduates studying music and picked out some...iced tea.  He was an incredibly nice man with varied interests and the conversation flowed from both sides. 

As an aside, isn't live conversation a dying art?  Between the brevity of texting, the choppiness of online chatting, and the incomplete sentences of email, it seems like I do very little connecting face to face on a daily basis.  It was refreshing.

He took me on a brief tour of his community garden, I introduced him to my take on beers with a visit to a great little liquor store.  He walked me home and ended the date with a gentlemanly hug.  Lovely.

It was such a pleasant evening.  I'm not sure this guy is the right one for me, but at the very least, I think I made a new friend. 

Frankly, I'm not sure that this gal is ready for anything serious at this point.  Think I'm still tweaking the relationship with my single self.

2 comments:

  1. "tweaking the relationship with my single self"... I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahahahahhah. what a cute post

    ReplyDelete