Monday, August 30, 2010

Three Ups and Three Downs

I was out at a bar the other night with some friends and met an interesting guy.  He was a financial type, Indian, and age-appropriate.  Very gregarious.  We got to talking and hit it off.  He was smart and funny, and seemed interesting.  Perhaps most importantly, he seemed secure and not intimidated by me or what I do.

The evening progressed and he, my friends, and I were having a great time.  At the end of the night, we kissed and he asked me out on a date.

So we went out on Friday night.  I picked the cuisine (sushi), he picked the restaurant.  We met up and he was actually cuter than I remembered.  We ordered a bottle of sake and started talking.  The first hour went great...then I think he started to get inebriated and then everything started to go downhill...

Clearly, this guy was not as secure as I thought he was.  He began psychoanalyzing me.  He started a game called "3 ups and 3 downs."  He wanted me to tell him three things I liked about him and three things I didn't.  Then, he would do the same.  Somehow, I convinced him to start first.  The ups were pretty much superficial: oohh...you're so pretty.  Gag.  The downs, well the downs were down and dirty:

You're so innocent--don't lose your innocence.
You're so scared to trust--you've built a wall around you and keep everyone at arm's length.
You're so shy and need to be more outgoing.

I'm getting angry again just writing this.  He was so proud of himself for "getting me" after knowing me for mere hours.  He even told me that he wanted to work on these "issues" while we were together.  Aargh!

I was pissed off.  He started planning out our next dates and even had the audacity to determine on which date I would be willing to go to fourth base--date number 10--if I could "hold out that long."  Yeah.  This guy is definitely a winner.

Needless to say, this date ended with me being visibly upset, him getting in a cab and me getting on the subway to meet up with my friends for a drink and a replay of the evening.  Interestingly, the next day, he texted me because he had a great time and wanted to hang out again.  So. Not. Happening. Dude.

When I reviewed the "game tape" with my friends, I found out about a new phenomenon.  Am I the last person on earth to hear about The Game?  And negs?  I'm doing a bit of research on this topic.  More to come soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment